The city of Louisville just recently participated in the annual Kentuckiana Heart Walk this past Saturday, September 21, 2013 from 8am to 11am. Raising funds for the American Heart Association, participants walked a 1-3 mile walk for friends and family members to show support. With designed t-shirts and dedicated steps, men and women joined one another to make a difference. The funds donated will be used towards education and advocacy for heart disease and stroke. Two health conditions that are listed as the number 1 and the number 4 life threatening killers.
Heart disease is the number one leading cause of death for women in the United States and in other countries as well. In fact, Heart disease is more deadly that any form of cancer – not taking away from cancer being a serious class of diseases characterized by continuous cell growth. In all, we find ourselves surrounded by women who are day to day fighting for their lives. It is important for everyone to learn the symptoms of heart disease and to be informed about what they can do to make a change. Most women have already decided that they will NOT allow heart disease to win the battle. You should join the movement.
Not all women with heart disease endure the same symptoms. This topic is very personal for me. My mother and my grandmother are fighters of heart disease and I take pride in wearing RED and supporting this cause. Learning about this disease is the only way that YOU can help someone you love remain healthy and gain strength in fighting against it. There are several misconceptions about how to deal with heart disease and what actions to take to prevent further damage to your precious heart.
“Heart disease affects the blood vessels and cardiovascular system. Numerous problems can result from this, many of which are related to a process call atherosclerosis, a condition that develops when plaque builds up in the walls of arteries. The buildup narrows the arteries, making it harder for the blood to flow through. If a blood clot forms, it can stop the blood flow. This an cause a heart attack or stroke.”
– The Go Red For Women Editors
Symptoms of a Heart Attack:
- Pain or pressure in the chest
- Discomfort spreading to the back, jaw, throat, or arm
- Nausea, indigestion, or heartburn
- Weakness, anxiety, or shortness of breath
- Rapid or irregular heartbeats
Symptoms of a Stroke:
- Trouble with walking
- Trouble with speaking and understanding
- Paralysis or numbness of the face, arm or leg
- Trouble with seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden severe headache
We have to focus on finding a solution to end heart disease in women. Our daily activity shapes who we are and takes a toll on our body. Blood buildup isn’t the only cause of heart disease. This disease can occur from your heart beating irregularly (Arrhythmia), through your heart not pumping enough blood (Congestive Heart failure), and through your heart not opening up enough so that a good amount of blood is flowing (Heart valve problems).
Living a healthier lifestyle is the only way to prevent your chances of getting heart disease. Change up the game and allow yourself that victory!!! Without a doubt, you have the power to control what happens to your body and you’ll enjoy the journey along the way.
If you want me to be more specific and add simple ways to prevent heart disease, here you go:
1. Cook with less sodium! Smaller amounts of salt are better for your body and also prevents high blood pressure.
2. Eat more fruits and veggies. Everyone loves a good snack! Throw grapes or apple slices into your purse on the go. For veggies, try carrot sticks or celery sticks. Remember to stay light on the veggie dip. Just a reminder for all of my dip lovers out there.
3. Exercise or walk on a regular basis. Take your spouse or kids with you as you stroll around the neighborhood. You could even drive to the closest park and partake in some group yoga, a very relaxing way to stretch and build small cardio.
4. Saving the most important tip for last: DRINK TONS OF WATER! We all need to intake at least 8 cups of water on a daily basis to keep our bodies hydrated and healthy. Whether or not you think that this will make a difference, know that it will. With it being a pure and cleansing liquid, it’s the only fuel you need to run for the rest of your life!!! Drink up ladies and add a lemon or two if you’re feeling a little fancy. You could also flavor your water with other fruit slices to get it a small distinct flavor.
Keep in mind that National Wear Red day is February 7th, 2014. Everyone will wear RED this day to show their love and support. Will you participate and join the movement? Get your outfit REaDy.